I always thought this site said it all.

http://www.festiveattyre.com/research/lacing/lacing.html

Well, I make a larger distance between the holes, at least 1inch, so if I started marking the holes from the top to the bottom, in the bottom there might be an either too small or too large distance from the center front seam. That wouldn't, I guess, look very good. So that's why I first mark the first and last hole, then measure the distance, say how many holes I want (to make approx. the distance between them I want) and calculate the exact distance between the holes. I admit, it really sounds complicated, but for me it's not and I'm sure that the last hole will be in the right place. By the way, the making of that formula didn't take me more than 5 minutes, I just wondered a bit about how do I actually calculate it and put it into a formula.

But if you place holes even under the center front seam (that means the holes are in place where there is no opening any more, did I get that right?), then your method is surely easier. I actually never even thought about placing the holes there. I never had the chance to go to a museum where I could see a dress with spiral lacing clearly in detail. So that's why I didn't even think about it:-)) Now when thinking about it, I don't only make medieval dresses, I make corsets and other garments of later periods where I use spiral lacing. And there it's sometimes important to have the first and last hole in the right place, so that's maybe why I'm making it all so difficult:-)

"Something I do before I start all of this: I baste a line down each edge, exactly 1/2 or 5/8 inch from the edge and parallel to it. When I mark my eyelets, my marking lines cross the basting line, forming a + . The eyelets go on those intersections. The basting helps keep the lining and the main fabric from getting off-kilter while I sew the eyelets. I remove the basting after the eyelets are sewn."

  I do that, too.

  Zuzana