On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Since someone mentioned Aesthetic dress, I went looking at pictures,
> and I think I really like it! Can anyone recommend a good book with
> lots of pictures? Or, failing that, some detailed websites?

None of these are loaded with pictures, but all are useful:

Book:

        Stella Mary Newton, Health, Art & Reason: Dress reformers of the
19th century (London: John Murray, 1974). This is the comprehensive study
of the Rational/Artistic/Aesthetic dress movement. Follow her footnotes
for more sources.

Two articles from the journal _Costume_:

        Shonfield, Zuzanna, "Miss Marshall and the Cimabue Browns,"
Costume, No. 13 (1979), pp. 62-72.

        Ormond, Leonee, "Female Costume in the Aesthetic Movement of the
1870 and 1880s," Costume, No. 2, 33-38; reprinted in combined Nos. 1-2,
pp. 47-52.

Web sites (here's where you'll find pictures!):

        http://costume.osu.edu/Reforming_Fashion/reformdress.htm

        http://web.nwe.ufl.edu/~kchancey/corsetaesthetic.html

        http://www.fashion-era.com/rational_dress.htm

        http://www.fashion-era.com/aesthetics.htm

There's also some overlap with the Pre-Raphaelites, and you can find some
pictures of people like Jane Morris and Oscar Wilde in artistic dress if
you spend enough time looking through books about the lives of these
people.

Fashion magazines of the period, such as Harper's, would be another good
source, but I haven't followed the chain that far.

--Robin