From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Cin
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 7:04 PM
To: h-cost
Subject: re: [h-cost] iron corset

There's a line in Eleanora di Firenza's accounts that shows she
ordered two.  One is in either the Bargello or the Palazzo Vecchio
collection in Florence.  I saw it last summer.  The docent there
claimed the steel corset was ordered as an orthotic, rather like a
backbrace.

Another is in the Italian Rennaissance exhibit at the V&A London.
This one I saw 2 weeks ago, tho I dont recall the owning organization.
Both of these corsets are steel.  The catalog for "At Home in the
Italian Rennaissance" states the corset is from the Museo Stibbert
collection, provenance unknown. The catalog says this corset is for a
65cm bust.

You'll find papers and original docs referenced in each of these catalogs.

I've never seen anything on iron corsets.

--cin
Cynthia Barnes
[EMAIL PROTECTED]