People wore stripes and checks during the 16th C. Check out the paintings of
Sofanisba Angiusola (sp)

Monica (Catriona in SCA)

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 10:18 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [h-cost] striped skirt

_http://www.renaissancewoman.net/realmofvenus/wardrobe/Dance1565.jpg_
(http://www.renaissancewoman.net/realmofvenus/wardrobe/Dance1565.jpg)
Just an idle question here -- in the image above, the woman with her back
turned to us has a skirt that appears to be striped. Would this be a
brocaded or
 patterned fabric of some sort, or an embellishment like embroidery or
couching?  Or is it artistic license? I haven't seen a skirt like that on a
realistic 16th  century person before (only allegorical or "foreigners"),
but then
these seem to be Italians, and I don't do Italian (not yet, anyway).

Tea Rose