I've been meaning to ask about something like this for
a little while. In The Medieval Tailor's Assistant
page 85, they give two line drawings showing a "hem
flounce". They do not show the original picture this
is taken from. Although they look familiar, I can't
find them in anything I have. (I just picked it up
recently, and missed any discussion there may have
been earlier)

I can't recall ever seeing such a flounce on anything,
but then it's not really my period.  The authors seem
to suggest all undergowns/kirtles in the mid-15th
century had this ruffle. NOw it's a narrow band, not a
wide one, but still... What's the story?

Maggie

http://www.formfunction.org/temp/1475-80ValeriusMaximus.jpg