--- MaggiRos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've been meaning to ask about something like this
> for
> a little while. In The Medieval Tailor's Assistant
> page 85, they give two line drawings showing a "hem
> flounce". They do not show the original picture this
> is taken from. Although they look familiar, I can't
> find them in anything I have. (I just picked it up
> recently, and missed any discussion there may have
> been earlier)
>
> I can't recall ever seeing such a flounce on
anything,
> but then it's not really my period.  The authors
seem
> to suggest all undergowns/kirtles in the mid-15th
> century had this ruffle. NOw it's a narrow band, not
> a wide one, but still... What's the story?
>
> Maggie

I'm thinking that's one of the areas which could have
been improved upon in "The Medieval Tailor's
Assistant", even just by a few references.

ALL underdresses--not by any means, so far as I can
tell.  Not by a long shot.
SOME underdresses, definately.

The 'ruffle' might be a straight band of cloth wide
enough to fit the flared dress at the hem, and
tucks/pleats taken irregularly as necessary to attach
to the narrower upper part of the skirt.
But I don't know for sure, either. ;)
And 'why?' remains as big a question as ever.

Ann in CT