On Jan 3, 2007, at 7:24 AM, Sue Clemenger wrote:

A beaded/netted overgown? How cool is that? ;o) I hadn't heard of that
intriguing garment, so thanks to you and the other poster who mentioned it. I can see now why the designers of AlbertCat's movie might have tried to
imitate it.
--Sue

Yeah, it's incredibly cool. (The same sort of technique seems to have been used for beaded-net sarcophagus covers that would include a facial portrait of the deceased.) I had fun making one for my "ancient Egyptian doll" -- see <http://www.heatherrosejones.com/ digthatdoll/egyptianwoman.html>. It's about 2/3 of the way down the page. (The doll is about 10" tall.)

Heather

----- Original Message -----
From: "Heather Rose Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 9:34 PM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] movie costumes

On Jan 2, 2007, at 5:00 AM, Sue Clemenger wrote:

Not if what she was wearing was obviously knitted. That's a humongous
boo-boo, right there.  Also, the color of the gown sounds really
wrong--is
there any evidence of linens being dyed in Egypt at that time?
--Sue

 From the description, it sounds like it might have been inspired by
a surviving Egyptian "bead net" dress -- a very open network made of
threaded beads.  The one I'm thinking of is basically a tubular
sheath with shoulder straps and at the bottom hem it has a "fringe"
of dangling flower-shaped beads.  _Might_ -- I'd have to see the
original to know if the suspicion holds up.  There's a rather dark
photograph of the item I'm thinking of about halfway down the page at:

http://www.thekeep.org/~kunoichi/kunoichi/themestream/sexuality.html

Heather