I will be doing research of fashion color usage for a long, long time. I have made a database with my documentation of color names, trends, usage and definitions at www.fcdatabase.com . You can view the bibliography and lists of the color names used for given years at no charge on the site. The Fashion Color Database is part of our online Library. To view the actual color name database, you need to be a subscriber to our Library. At this moment there are over 2,100 entries in the database.

As for dove gray or dove grey:

"Names of Colors and Their Meaning" Sears & Roebuck Catalog, 1929, defines dove gray as:
"gray with rose tint, one shade lighter than shadow."

Documentation for the color:

Dove-grey: ELIZABETHAN COSTUMES FROM 1550-1580

Dove-gray:
***STERN'S CATALOGUE OF FRENCH GOWNS, 1915
***Sears Catalog, 1929

Dove-color:
Feb. 1856: Peterson's Magazine, teenager girl's walking dress

I have the color used in many, many other publications but just don't have those in the database yet.

Penny Ladnier,
Owner, The Costume Gallery Websites
www.costumegallery.com
www.costumelibrary.com