At 9:44 AM -0500 2/3/07, LLOYD MITCHELL wrote:
I know that we have discussed this in the past but cannot remember a referrance or definition. In 18th C. embroidery, what is the difference between spangles and sequins used for additional embellishment. I have been reading the Mackenzie text for the Wade collection at Snowshill and she shows embroidery samples that use both in the same illustration.

I am preparing a major part of my Collection for auction and have several pieces of elaborate embellishment that I am trying to describe. Also, Re the composition of sequins, besides gel, what might they have been formed from before 1930?

Don't know whether this would help, since it's several centuries before your period, but there's a brief discussion of the medieval equivalent at:
http://claning.home.igc.org/bezants/bezants.htm