I wonder if it (shoulder string) was something they did for children's
clothing, to allow for growth. She appears to be a young woman, could still
be growing?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Gail & Scott Finke
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 6:06 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [h-cost] Re: robin's suggestion

on 3/21/07 3:00 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> For 3 & 3/4 yd of 45" wide fabric, particularly in dark gold silk noil,
> consider this:
>
> http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/g/gentiles/orazio/luteplay.html
>
> I once did this out of two wool scraps that totaled about 2 1/2 yards (OK,
> they were 60 inches wide, but you've got much more than that). A bonus:
> cheap spun silks, similar to noil, would have been used for non-wealthy
> Italians in this period. And there's your color documented for you right
> in that painting.

I have never noticed the arm/shoulder treatment in that dress before. How
does it work, exactly? And why is it like that? It looks as if the front of
the bodice has a shoulder strap that connects to a string or cord of some
kind attached to the back of the dress.

Gail Finke