At 02:53 28/03/2007, you wrote:

I need reactions from a sampling of avid readers of textile literature,
and where better to find it than here?

I'm editing a paper on textile analysis written by someone whose native
language is not English. Some of the terms and idioms have come through a
bit odd, and part of my job is to smooth it out so as not to jar the
reader.

The author is listing characteristics of fabric, including its appearance,
handle, and properties. Obviously "handle" is the word that doesn't ring
true here. My co-editor pencilled in "feel." The fabric-user in me thinks
"hand", but perhaps that is not so well-understood a term.

If you read either of these phrases in an article, would it pull you up
short, or would it make sense to you?

"...the properties, hand, and appearance of a finished fabric."

"...the properties, feel, and appearance of a finished fabric."

Other suggestions welcome. I don't think "texture" will work in context,
because that turns out to be one of many factors in the "handle."

--Robin

As far as I am aware, the word used more in "English" text, as opposed to "American" text, is "feel". However, I don't think it is precisely the same, in fabric terms, as "handle". Nor, to my mind, does "hand" which I did not come across until reading American comments on line. I may live a very sheltered life, but I do find terms do not necessarily mean the same in both countries. Does the writer mean the draping, or the texture? "Feel" = texture, handle = texture and draping, to my reading.

Just my 2p's worth.

Suzi