To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 10:47 AM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] pleated trim question.

At 09:30 10/04/2007, you wrote:
I am a little unsertain how i should cut the panels for the trims on this dress i am making:
http://www.my-drewscostumes.dk/sofie3.htm
I want to make small box pleats, but i wondered if the trim should be cut in the height or could i just cut it out in the breath?
Sorry if i misspelled the words.
Jean Hunniset says that its not nescesary to cut that much fabric for trim. She says 11/2 or 2 times the lengt, but i think i should use at least 3 times the lenght.

If you are making box pleats, Hunnisett says that you should use 3 times the length, I.5 to 2 times is for gathers.

It really doesn't matter whether you cut across the fabric width or down the length, unless you have a shot fabric, in which case you need to decide which way according to how the colour changes. (Sometimes you want the contrast.) Many trimmings on original garments are made up from scraps of leftover material, so if it is not a shot fabric you can use it both ways.

I have plenty of fabric for the dress, so i dont have to be carefull. I am using a little tiny gold trim in the edge, wich is wired, so its easy to make the pleats.

Incidentally I used a wired trim for one dress I made, and hated the way it looked when finished, so took it all off, pulled out the wire and did it all again! (Must have been mad!)

Suzi