Dawn wrote:
Elizabeth Walpole wrote:

 So for those who regularly wash a test swatch how big do you cut yours?

I try to get a couple of inches, and I measure it exactly. I'll trim it square with a rotary cutter on a gridded mat to be sure of the size. Then I can measure it again after it's washed and see what it does. With silk I'd expect shrinkage.

I'd also expect the fabric to lose a lot of its crispness and get rather softer and limper. I've seen this happen to a friend's brocade. One of the things I love about silk brocade is how much body it has, but if you want it drapey, washing will do that. For a Tudor gown, you might be better off with a crisper hand.

Melanie Schuessler