Sylrog, I have only come to h-costume since about when It began in the '90s. My only connection before that was the items accumulating in my private collection which were all the contact with the realities of the past re color, fabrics, and fit. I was working very hard to translate this real info when designing for the stage. One rather amusing attempt at doing h-costume was a period production in which I was determined to use all the closures available for a medieval setting. Boy, did I learn some new concepts re theater at the dress rehearsal. Most of the characters had one or more costume changes intra acts. So much for ties and lacing!!

Another interesting experiment was several years later when we were doing "La Ronde". All the women of the circle had to appear in (at least) undies and such as are previewed in the present pattern under discussion. My creativity was in designing the intimate apparel that would also project the station in life as well as the modesty required for a local conservative audience. This pattern would have delighted me then as it does now for the other real world of contempory middle America theater.

Kathleen
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sylvia Rognstad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 8:18 PM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] new Butterick pattern 5061

On May 2, 2007, at 6:11 PM, Carmen Beaudry wrote:

On May 2, 2007, at 5:54 PM, LLOYD MITCHELL wrote:

This reminds me of.......
One thing I am sure of is that the armseye of the upper garments will not be as high as the originals nor the bottoms as capacious . These would grace any stage quite nicely.

That sounds like a veiled insult to  theatrical costume designers.

Sylrog

I sure didn't take it as such.

Melusine (who started out in theater and still does theater costume part time)

You didn't? Am I just being overly sensitive? I often feel like historical re-enactors and reproducers of accurate historical costumes look down their noses to a certain extent at theatrical costume designers because the latter don't usually attempt complete authenticity.

Sylrog