Hi,
Just my 2 cents, i know that the National Museum, Denmark, has their own cleaning departure, they dry clean their own stuff, and they also take comissions, only it is quite expensive. I know this because the academy of Historical Hairstyles, was payed for one of their catwalks at the National Museum, with cleaning a dress for them. When i worked at the Museum of Decorative arts, they asked me to clean a full bustledress. I was send to town to buy lots of cleaning petrol, and the whole dress was dipped into a bath of this. Worked very well. I did it outside, and the rest of the petrol i was told should just stand outside, so that it could evaporate. Perhaps you could do that two, if you have a zink large enough, and can do it outside..........

Bjarne

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lavolta Press" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, June 03, 2007 8:15 PM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Re: Hand Drycleaning

I've found places that do it by mail, I just was hoping for a local one. It's really not an unusual process. Museums, antique textile and clothing collectors, and the better vintage clothing stores frequently send antique garments to be hand dry cleaned, since they will not withstand the agitation of machine cleaning. I've been sending stuff out for this process for decades. It's just that dry cleaners tend not to find the museum, etc. business as lucrative as machine dry cleaning for the neighborhood. One dry cleaner I used to use went out of business and the other says they no longer offer this service.

My next step will be to contact the deYoung Museum and ask who they use for their collection, or perhaps to send to a place I found in New York. Government regulations or not, I don't think every museum in the country is going to have to start sending all those 18th-century and 19th-century garments out to the neighborhood bulk dry cleaner.

Thanks,

Fran

Leah L Watts wrote:

With regular dry cleaning they put the garment or textile into a machine and agitate it, which stresses it much more than hand dry cleaning, which seems similar to flat washing where you sponge the soap through the cloth.

 And given the government restrictions on dry cleaning solvent, I think
you're going to have problems finding someone who can do this, ESPECIALLY
in California.  The only thing I can think of would be to contact some of
the industry associations (such as the International Fabricare Institute,
http://www.ifi.org/) and see if they have anyone they can recommend.  Or
see if there's someone using alternative solvents in your area -- I
believe the liquid CO2 method requires a pressurized machine, so wouldn't
work for you, but I don't know about Rynex or GreenEarth.

Leah