I'm with Richard (hi, Richard!) on the tiny snaps. That's what we've used in theatre in various similar situations--especially the strip number in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. The trick is deciding how much hold you need vs. how easily they need to release. In some places we used the tiny metal snaps, and in others the tiny plastic snaps.

Melanie Schuessler (near Richard in MI)