Hating braies as I do (they're just so uncomfortable...)  I'm fine  with
there being no evidence for women wearing them.  :o)

That said, that's the point really - there isn't any evidence - what there
is that I'm aware of is questionable for one reason or another.

Plus it may have varied in different parts of Europe - later on Pepys put
his wife's wearing of drawers down to her Frenchness!

Thinking logically about it, though, they're not needed to hold up women's
hosen (generally only knee high, so held up with what later became sash
garters), they don't add greatly in terms of warmth, and they do tend to get in
 the
way somewhat at certain times with a full lenght dress (if you get what I
mean!).

But being in the same group as Jean, I also always tell people that we just
don't know.

You don't wanna know some of the frankly scary replies I've got from  certain
MoPs !