It should have been titled "How a Bra is Manufactured."  But the show was
really good.  Did anyone see this show Friday night on the National Geographic
Channel?
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/ET/popup/200709282200.html

I thought at first it was that dumb show that was on a couple of years ago, so
I didn't start videotaping it under after the first 20 minutes.  But the show
comes on again Sunday and I will tape it all then.

What the show covers:
***About 10 minutes (at most) of the history of corsets and bras.
***Silk, present day development: Vietnam: worm to cocoon--to obtaining the
strands from the cocoons, spinning weaving, dyeing, weaving.  This part and the
next were really interesting.
***Lycra: From the pipeline, transport to factory, mixing of chemicals and how
they react (good example by chemist), colorants, spinning, and weaving.  Those
who love dyes, will love this part.
***Fitting a bra properly: States that 8 out of 10 women are wearing and
incorrect bra size.  How to measure for bra and cup sizes.  A famous NYC bra
shop that shows how to fit a bra and for what occasions.  I would love to go
there!  Also states how women's average bra size has increased dramatically
over the past 15 years.  Average size now is a 36 C.  They do state that
different types styles and manufacturers of bras fit differently.  The average
bra is only to last three months.
My sidenote: {I have been so tired of salespeople only interested in sale
instead of the quality of the fit.  I go to Williamsburg, VA to the Maidenform
Outlet Store and their salespeople will not let you leave until the bra fits
perfectly.  I don't know if this is a company or manager decision, but I love
these salesladies.  Also, JC Penney's catalog dept. is know to carry the
largest variety of bra sizes and cups.  It is their #1 products sold in their
catalog dept.}
***Assembly of bras: Cutting and manufacturing processes of the fabric pieces,
underwires, claps & clips.
***Science of the bra: Model wearing sensors while jogging with different types
of bras.  This is to show which bras are good for exercise.  Hint: The sports
bra did not win!
***All pieces of the bra, underwires and clasps are shipped to Vietnam to be
assembled.  The bras are sewn on industrial sewing machines by workers.
Underwires and clasps are put on by hand. The workers change positions every
couple of hours to keep from being bored.  I was happy to see this!  When I
first saw the Vietnam assembly, I thought, I would go crazy doing that process
all day long.
***Finally the bras are sent to a show for buyers from businesses.

Penny Ladnier,
Owner, The Costume Gallery Websites
www.costumegallery.com
www.costumelibrary.com