> My sister has just found out that she's going to Shanghai next week.
> Can anyone tell me what kind of silk, or other cool fabric,  she
> might be likely to find there, and what's a good price for it?

I havent been to Shanghai, but my very well trained husband (who can
give the lecture on different kinds of silk verbatim) has been a lot.
There are interesting tourist markets around.  Best of course, to have
a friendly native guide or a Chinese speaker with you who can help
with the negotiations.

There's a main street, Nan Jing Rd that leads more or less from
Peoples Park to the Bund.  Closer to the Bund it's pedestrians only &
there,  among the posh shops, are fabric stores that deal in
everything, esp silks.  Go price checking here.   You'll be at the
Bund anyway, amongst the old European style buildings, at night to
look across the Huang Po River towads the Pearl Tower for the
lightshow.  Here's a link:
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/shanghai/shopping.htm
Raz says, further toward the Bund the shops get a little older &
rundown looking.  That's where the fabric shops are.  Look also for
the little beaded figures that you can hang from your cellphone (it's
an Asian thing).  I have a red Mandarin guy & a cute pink lizard on
mine.

There's an another area for tourists near the old teahouse.  He's
pretty sure its the Yu Yuan Garden, shown here:
http://www.lovetoeatandtravel.com/Site/Intl/China/Shanghai/Fun/Yu_Yuan_Garden.htm
There's another bunch of very posh shops near this famous garden, but
the periphery blocks are full of places where you can get better
deals.

Silk rugs - Hao Yin No. 1488 HongQiao Road  tel. 13901848866  He says
amazingly beautiful rugs for 100s of US$.  I laughed.  Usually they're
1000s of US$.  OK it sounds odd, but we brought a Tajekestani one home
in our luggage from Singapore.  They fold, they dont break or leak,
they're easy to ship & Customs doesnt raise an eyebrow.

Buy something fabulous!
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
[EMAIL PROTECTED]