Chiara Francesca wrote:
Shantung
Once made from hand-reeled tussah silk, today's shantung is usually made
with cultivated silk warp yarns and heavier douppioni filling yarns.
Depending on the filling yarn, shantung may be lustrous or dull. It has a
firm, semi-crisp hand and tends to ravel, so avoid close-fitting styles. It
can be machine washed on gentle and dried on low. 29 mm

Douppioni Douppioni is a plain-weave fabric with slubbed ribs. It has a stiff,
taffeta-like hand and is usually dyed in bright colors. Douppioni is often
made into elegant flowy gowns that are not fitted or for semi-fitted
doublets and garments because the fabric doesn't stand up well to stress and
ravels easily. Dry cleaning recommended. 19mm.

It's also worth noting that there's a lot of variability in douppioni (which, as a friend of mine once said, translates to "we don't beat our slack-ass weavers") and shantung. Indian douppioni tends to be pretty slubby. I've seen (and have) Chinese douppioni that could almost pass for taffeta.

It's purely technique and weight, The quality of the silk (and the weavers) determines whether it's clean and clear or slubby and rustic.

andy