After all things considered like time, sizing and originality of patterns taken from extant garments or drafted from pictures, I ended up pricing such (in my now retired business) generally around $50/60. Usually that was high enough to chase away the casual customer and recompense me enough professionally not to worry about copyright. This was pretty much for personal design, particular size. For a venue that may offer 'library' priveledges for design, I suggested that any subsequent use beyond the initial, that permission of the artist must be obtained. I realize that this sort of permission is probably included in copyright agreements, but have come across it from time to time when no other form of continued use was given.

kathleen
----- Original Message ----- From: "Abel, Cynthia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:02 PM
Subject: RE: [h-cost] Patterning Question

Dear Sarah:

I've not done this sort of work before, but make sure you copyright your
work before selling/donating it if you are creating your patterns from
scratch, if possible. I do interlibrary loan and some authors have to
sign away their rights as author in order to get published. So if they
need a published version copy of a work they authored they sometimes
have to pay for it.

 Also, what kind of copies do they want: full scale hardcopies in what
material(paper, muslin, etc), scale copies in what scale, or digital
copies? This affects the price you charge, depending on the work you
have to put into it to supply the copy format.

Hope this helps.

Cindy Abel