Aren't we having annual discussion?

My only directly costume related gift was a pair of pearl earrings, when I started looking for earrings I was surprised how difficult it was to find something plain, everything seemed to have extra decoration but my sister found pretty much what I wanted (the hook was silver and I would have preferred gold, but it's just a simple shepherd's hook so it doesn't stand out). I was also going to get a pair of shoes I could use for costuming purposes (plain ballet flats work for most of the 1st half of the 19th century) but couldn't find any that fit properly.
Elizabeth