My family is, apparently, no longer willing to feed my obsession with historic costuming. :-) I received several nice gifts of jewellery and clothing (suitable for office wear) and some lotion, etc. from the Aveda Salon... but not a single book or pattern, or even a gift certificate to Jo-Ann's!

The big surprise came a few days before Christmas, when my parents arrived. They walked in carrying a box of "old magazines" and wondered if I wanted them. I am now the proud owner of bound copies of Godey's Lady's Book from 1856 and January-June 1863, plus loose issues May & June 1865 and July 1871, and a bound copy of Peterson's Magazine from 1881. I was stunned! They are all in rather fragile condition with broken spines, pages torn and stained -- and I was distressed to see that someone had cut out many of the articles in the 1856 volume. (My mother couldn't remember which side of the family she inherited them from, or when. Maybe it's better if I don't know!) Also, someone used the back of some of the plates to work on their arithmetic homework but at least it's in pencil. I suppose there are cleaner copies available electronically for all of these volumes but I'm thrilled to think that I have my very own paper copies. I'll be making photocopies of the "ballads" that appear at the beginning of each volume and I'll probably try to construct some of the accessories... March 1856 has something called a "Polka Jacket trimmed with imitation ermine" that I find strangely appealing... you have been warned! ;-)

Suzanne
[who mostly does 15th & 16th C. but has started dabbling in the mid-19th C. since moving to Iowa last year]