No-one's done a 1918 costume with a flu mask. There was a "plague doctor" from Venice, guessing 16th-17th century, at Costume-Con 12. Photo here:

<http://www.costume-con.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=5674>

Sandy

At 08:36 PM 1/10/2008, you wrote:

And yes, the 1918 pandemic was known as the Spanish Flu (despite starting
out in Kansas, USA).  Sweating sickness doesn't quite match the 1918
symptoms ... but flu viruses are so mutable, you really can't go by that.

Costume content, costume content, there's gotta be some around here ...
"America's Forgotten Pandemic" has several references (and photos) of
people wearing gauze masks to protect themselves from the flu.  Anyone
ever do a Costume Con historical masquerade entry from 1918 with flu
masks?  (It'll be Milwaukee before I can go again, but I'm trying to
decide on an entry early.)

Leah

"Those Who Fail To Learn History
Are Doomed to Repeat It;