In a message dated 2/13/2008 5:21:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I am not  familiar with historical Victorian millinery techniques, but
a great  book with clear instructions for theatrical techniques is
_From the  Neck Up_ by Denise Dreher.  It's not too expensive, and
it's  fairly easy to use.

***********************************
Hats are hats. The "theatrical" methods are often the REAL methods because
many hats, especially big elaborate ones, are a "make it work" affair. I have a
 bunch of period bonnets from the 1840's and 50's that my long ago roommate
collected and we just couldn't throw out.... they are all rotting and  falling
apart. No you cannot wear them or fix them, BUT you can see their  innards
and see how they were made. Lots of cardboard and wire. And some of the  most
amazing and clever decoration you've ever seen [why my roommate  wouldn't throw
them out]
There's one simple oyster colored silk bonnet [covering a cardboard and  wire
frame] decorated with the most realistic wild morning glories, made of
paper, you've ever seem Very fine and delicate.

My fave is a bonnet that is formed from a wire frame that is like an open
mesh. Woven into the frame in geometric patterns are long bias strips of
blue-grey silk organdy.... which curl up into tubes. On one side is a cluster
of
loops of the tubular organdy strips. It's light as a feather and translucent.
I've never seen anything like it!

Awards. Go to AOL Music.