From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 12:42 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [h-cost] Re: Black Linen

Hello all, I am new to the list and this is my first post! :) In regards to
the dilemma with what to do with the 5 plus yards of black linen, I know
from experience that when something good like that lands on your lap it's
very hard to chose a project with it later, my bins are full of about 5 yd
cuts of absolutely gorgeous satins and laces that I am afraid to use because
there is only enough for one dainty outfit and then it's gone. When the
black linen comes to mind, the late Victorian or Edwardian period definitely
is a good era to use it on, so many suits and things were made with black
linen. In fact, the dress Rose's mother is wearing in the scene when they
are touring the ship comes to mind also. You can make a slim walking suit
with that and use a white silk and light coloured or even brightly coloured
lace in addition to that.
I need some advice on accessory making, particularly hats. I have only made
one hat and it was entirely without the assistance of a purchased pattern. I
would like to start making more Victorian and Edwardian era small
accessories as well, not just garments though I am not sure where to start
or what formal techniques other costumers use! Do the majority who have made
them use both patterns and techniques acquired from a hat making class?
Justine:)