I find that the Kohler book is a good place to start when I want to get a
vague idea before looking into a new period. I've come across a lot worse
"beginners" books, some being x-mas presents from evil friends.

My personal pet pieve is an early 15thC period book with fairly accurate
drawings of weapons and a mixture of Disney medieval and better documented
drawings of garments. I've threatend violence if anybody uses that book as
a source again for garments, as the personal favorites always turns out to
be the fantasy garments. I'd rather see Disney's Sleeping Beauty used as a
source to be honest.
:-)

Gunvor