Quoting Mary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Unless the context of this painting is a series on the
nativity I wonder if it actually more of a sideways
"Virgin and Child Entroned with Saints and Angels."
One is more likely to see Mary and Jesus presented in
the center with saint important to the patron around
the sides or below. I've been looking a lots and lots
of nativity images in researching children's clothing
and there generally aren't that many people hanging
around a regualr nativity. But then why don't the rest
of them have halos.

This is what the wga.hu site says about the painting.

"Probably created for the Sant'Egidio's church in Florence, the central panel was executed by Lorenzo Monaco, painter and Camaldolite monk whose activity as illuminator appears in bright colours. His wholly Gothic style also emerges in lengthened figures. Prophets and the Annunciation in the upper part are by Cosimo Rosselli, and was added at the end of 15th century when the original triptych was made rectangular, with the almost complete abolition of divisions between panels.

Restored in 1995"

And thanks all for the comments.

Susan
-----