I have a length of silk taffeta that has an embroidery pattern that is
invokative of an Elizabethan pattern, except that it is all off-white
on off-white.  I would like to add color to the flowers without
embroidering them all.
So I was thinking of painting dabs or washes of color to those
flowers.  I know that there are special paints that are typically used
on silk, but I was wondering about using paints closer to hand -
watercolors, gouaches, acryllics and oils?   Anyone have experience of
using these on silk fabric?  This gown will be worn occasionally -
maybe two or three times a year at most, and I expect it to be hand
washed only when it needs it.

thanks
alex