Do you have a picture of the entire effergy?  I'm wondering if what looks like
a short gown over a kirtle is really a fold of the kirtle? Lynn

Cynthia Virtue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Kimiko Small wrote:
> I have found the effigy monument that shows a short
> gown over very long kirtle from Dr. Jane
> Malcolm-Davies effigies web site.
> The view of her hem:
> http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g173/sstormwatch/CostumeIdeas/?action=view¤t=95_137_main.jpg
> ( http://tinyurl.com/2kwfxq )

That's really interesting!

Although I'd class this as much different than the thigh-high overgown
of the tryptych. This one is ankle-length with a
longer-than-floor-length underskirt, after all. I wonder if there was
some element of modesty for the effigy involved, so one couldn't look up
her skirts, or if it is an accurate version of what they were wearing?
It certainly should pool prettily around the feet when upright.

cv