Kimiko,  Thank you for the information and the picture of the effigy.  My
personna in the sca is around the 1530's in England as nobility,  but my
general interest is in the period of the gable headresses.  There isn't very
much primary documentation that I've been aable to find on this period.  I do
have the tudor Tailor aand really enjoy it.  Thanks for the information. Lynn

Kimiko Small <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Hello Lynn,

As far as I understand, smocks (aka chemises) were not
as long as to the floor, but usually somewhere around
the knee length, maybe to ankles. I am no expert on
smocks, tho.

Her status I think is that of gentlewoman, which may
or may not be noble in birth, but of higher station
than most of the people. However, the husband is not
noted as being knight, but their son was a knight. She
is noted as being the heir to a named estate, which
might mean she was the daughter of a wealthy merchant
(and sole surviving heir?) They were at least wealthy
enough to purchase an effigy monument. It would be a
guess, unless one wanted to hunt that particular
family down (and Jane has listed the sources she
used).

As to how common this style was? Not very common I
think, but that's why I am hunting them down to find
out. It is not a style I've seen often in images, but
then I've not paid direct attention, until recently.
The problem with this time frame (roughly
1510-1540ish), is that individual people portraits,
unless a group image of some sort, often are of a
person from the waist up, so lower body details were
not painted. Finding the exceptions can prove very
helpful.

If you haven't gotten it yet, may I suggest checking
out the book called the Tudor Tailor, written by Dr.
Jane Malcolm-Davies and Ninya Mikhaila. It will give
you a good background of info, as well as some scaled
patterns of the Tudor period.

Kimiko