Hi All,  I too do productions for a, very dear to me, director - I've been
doing this for the last 5 years - one to two shows a year, usually one major
one and a smaller production.  I've spent alot of time on the net researching
each show and period but have never come upon a "professional standards" list
or site.
  I usually have complete control over the design with the directors in put
when she feels I am not in tune with her vision - however we are amazingly in
tune in that aspect.  The only show I have done with another director was
extremely stressfull and disorganized.  There were a small handfull of very
self-important actors whom I couldn't please no matter what I did.  Then on
opening night the "co-director" (didn't show up till Tech WeeK) completely
changed the opening scene wardrobe substituting costumes that were scheduled
for the end of the the show - this without telling me.  Needless to say this
threw off the continuity of the wardrobe changes.  What do you do in a
situation like this?  "Professional Standards" might have given me a direction.
 I know I won't work with this group again.
Anniecat16> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:46:16 -0500> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
h-costume@mail.indra.com> Subject: [h-cost] DESIGNER PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS> >
Hi, All. The most recent show on which I worked opened last last Thursday. And
over all its a good show. But some of the fallout has been very upsetting to
me.> The director invited me to do this show for her, her last show (she's said
that for for the last three years), and I've done them. Each time some cast
members have been down right vicious. This time was the worst.> It occurred to
me we expected different things as/from a designer. I'd just assumed they all
understood that I only did these shows to practice my craft, keep my abilities
in shape, and explore my ideas. Maybe her agenda was different?> So I sent an
email and asked what she had expected when she engaged a designer. She wrote
back to me a very complimentary (damned by praise-forget faint) note about my
design capabilities; but-said I was overb!
 earing, didn't listen to the actress's ideas and was not willing to take
suggestions form the actresses. The ideas and suggestions were put forth a few
days before dress and production had gotten me no help for a small musical with
48 changes in it. Some very small; most changes are full costume though. I
found I was being difficult when I said there just wasn't time.> The worst part
is that the changes weakened the visual dramatic impact but were more
conventional.> Now I want to write a little paper setting forth designer's
professional standards. It isn't that I don't know what most are but I don't
know if they are enumerated anywhere. Are they? Please help, both scholars and
practitioners. Audy> > in the high boonies of Central Texas> >