Been there and done that.

A worse scean is when the costumes get voted on by the Mother's Aux. for the
production...and the Director accepts their critique as the standard. Or the
whole cast gets to decide which costumes make the cut.

Between the movies and the major two Costume companies, the visual
expectation is very limited for the Popular theater of a general public. The
idea of style interpretation sometimes extends to matching colors, prints,
assessories and such to the exact  picture on the Pattern cover or to a
particular garment from the film.  Very frustrating. Making Cartoon costumes
is not fun for one who may have a better view of the historical aspects of
how the style (generic) clothes and compliments the character being
costumed. It took me several years to learn to "pick my battles" and to try
to maintain an integrity of Design for a particular production.

In working with some cast members, I fought for their trust by reminding
them that my  name Too would be on the program; if they didn't look good or
the character was inappropriatly clothed, I would get the criticism first.

 We spend a fair bit of time on this List with personal critiques of the
movies and other productions re Costume; it is often pointed out that
directors and actors live in a kind of fantasy world and that Design
integrity is least in their expectation.

For myself, in agreeing to do a production, I stressed Interpretation as a
major starting point for the Design development.  With some duds and a
larger number of successes, I managed to get my own share of plaudits that
gave me courage to move forward for the "next" time. (And there were many
times when in the company of tech staff  it was said that I "saved the
show".)

Guess one might remind the Director that theye can always Rent from a
'professional' theater supply house , Cost and Style be @#$&^%.  Funny, when
paying the Rental company how few complaints are given re Desigh and Fit!

KSM