Subject: ---- Robin Netherton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> About how many costume/fashion related books or magazines do you own?

I feel like I should start with:
"My name is Cynthia Barnes and I'm a costume addict."
I've got 350+ books on sewing, fashion, then there's vintage 19th c
fashion journals, some bound some not. Closely related are the
etiquette, housekeeping & dance manuals.

> What was the first one you purchased?  Where did you purchase it?

I dont remember.

> What was your most recent purchase?

Oh a handful.  I was at CostumeCon this afternoon. Beginner's
Blackwork is the most different thing for me.  Then I bought some
toupee clips.  I went to a wig lecture & found out this morning that
you can sew these clips to falls & switches then anchor them in your
hair.  Neat!  I'm looking forward to trying these.  This morning, my
Jane Seymour necklace by Pewter Replicas arrived from the UK.  I'm
wearing it!

>  best deal...

   I have 70+ 19th c hand-colored fashion plates; most were purchased
in Europe at teeny-tiny book & ephemera dealers' shops in obscure
areas.

> About how many period photographs do you own just for the costuming?

   400+ 19th c photographs.

> What book or magazine is your most treasured...if your house was on fire, you
> would take it with you.

   I'd burn to death rescuing treasures and throwing them out the
window to save them from peril.

> What is the worse costume book that you own?

  None!   Just donated them for a nice tax deduction.

> Do you have a room devoted to your collection?

   Double closet, 2 armoires, and 1/2 the garage.
> When did you start collecting?

   Dressups? Oh maybe age 5 or 6.  I had the biggest collection in the
neighborhood.  Hats?  Jewelry?  Oh, once you have 2-3 of anything,
people assume it's a collection and you get more.  My aunts are
particularly to blame for encouragement.

> Do you consider your collection for business or pleasure?

    I think if it more like a dragon's hoard.

> How many sewing machines do you own?  What types and age?

Six. All working.  1897 "portable" cast-iron hand-cranked machine in
it's wooden case with lots of nifty special-purpose feet,
1920s treadle converted to electric in the late 20s,
the turquoise 1950s cabinet machine operated by knee instead of footpedal,
a fantastic 1961 Kenmore that sews *anything* including kevlar,
Viking embroidery machine,
Babylock self-threading serger,
and a hand-carved wooded flax(?) spindle because it was mechanically
interesting.

> How many sewing patterns do you own?

   Two file cabinets of patterns.  Do books of patterns count like the
RL Shep reprints?  How 'bout the ones in the bound journals like
Godey's Ladies Book?  I dunno.  Conservatively:  I'd say "lots".

I'm so glad we have these Costumers Anonymous meetings.  I dont have a
problem  I can quit anytime.
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
[EMAIL PROTECTED]