Carol wrote:
>     Back to crochet -- yes, the simple chains and such were around in the
>18th century.  Some of the cords on military drums are chained rope.
>     The reason for the "no crochet" pronouncement is that some people
>want to use crocheted lace for 18th century.  The explosion of lace
>patterns occurred in the 19th century.
>     There are a number of different lace making techniques, many done to
>look like another type at various times throughout history.  Tatting
>to look like needle lace, etc.
>     Find the artifact for the era, copy the artifact.  Depending on the
>level of accuracy desired, a pair of crocheted doilies may not work
>for engageantes.  I wouldn't use the chaining on fly fringe to
>justify using them.

I'd also be curious whether the museum specifically knows that the crochet on
this piece is original, or whether it could have been added a bit later....
forgive my skeptical reflex here, please! It certainly _could_ be original if
it's just chains and fastenings.

I'd also like to see a photo, if Bjarne has a way to post it. It may be
important to know exactly what this looks like. The more evidence we have of
what early crochet _was_ like, the better equipped we are to say what it
_wasn't_ like (granny squares, lace edgings, zigzag afghans....<g>).

I'm convinced, personally, that bobbin lace was invented as a faster and easier
substitute for needle-made lace, which is very, very slow. And then tape lace
was invented as a faster and easier substitute for bobbin lace; crocheted lace
was invented as a faster and easier substitute for bobbin and tape laces,
machine-made lace as a substitute for crocheted lace, chemically-dissolved lace
as a substitute for machine-made lace.... <grin> Of course, this is an
*extremely* over-simplified view, but I think there's some truth in it.