I've never liked serging but:  Is it useful for fabrics besides knits? I
know it can be used on woven fabrics, but there are a variety of seams
that can be used on those but less of a variety for knits. Thing is, I
never sew knits. And I never wanted a serger before but now that I'm
adding to the machine collection. . .

I'm really regretting selling that early electric Singer with the
bentwood case that I had years ago, it worked perfectly and had a great
straight stitch. It's just that I was a college student, I also had
another machine, and I didn't want a lot of stuff to haul around. Is it
easy to get them into good condition?  Mine was like new.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com

Kim Baird wrote:

> You need a strong thread for serging, because there is a bit of jerking
> going on, and high speed. I use polyester thread for serging, whether it's
> dedicated serger cones or just spools of Guterman or Metrosene. I also like
> to use wooly nylon in the loopers, because it covers the edge so well.
> However, you have to be careful when pressing the garment. Too much heat,
> and wooly nylon becomes stiff and scratchy.

<snip>