From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Lavolta Press
Sent: Sunday, May 11, 2008 6:36 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Overlocker thread

I've never liked serging but:  Is it useful for fabrics besides knits? I
know it can be used on woven fabrics, but there are a variety of seams that
can be used on those but less of a variety for knits. Thing is, I never sew
knits. And I never wanted a serger before but now that I'm adding to the
machine collection. . .

I'm really regretting selling that early electric Singer with the bentwood
case that I had years ago, it worked perfectly and had a great straight
stitch. It's just that I was a college student, I also had another machine,
and I didn't want a lot of stuff to haul around. Is it easy to get them into
good condition?  Mine was like new.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com

Kim Baird wrote:

> You need a strong thread for serging, because there is a bit of
> jerking going on, and high speed. I use polyester thread for serging,
> whether it's dedicated serger cones or just spools of Guterman or
> Metrosene. I also like to use wooly nylon in the loopers, because it
covers the edge so well.
> However, you have to be careful when pressing the garment. Too much
> heat, and wooly nylon becomes stiff and scratchy.

<snip>