I'm a bit behind in my emails, but I hope those images
of the loose pockets help. The book doesn't state much
beyond what I posted, tho I haven't read it all yet,
so I may have missed a comment elsewhere in the book.

The earliest I've found comments on 16th century
pockets in general were from the trial of Anne Boleyn,
when one of her supposed lovers Wyatt claimed that
Anne had given him a jewel (or something) from her
pocket. What the pocket looked like or how it was
accessed, I do not know. The story was mentioned
briefly in the book Dress in the Court of King Henry
VIII, but the author did not go into any details on
pockets (much to my surprise).

Doing a quick google search, Jstor has the article
that mentions the Anne Boleyn story, but I don't have
access to those articles.
The Fall of Anne Boleyn
G. W. Bernard
http://www.jstor.org/pss/573258

Also, there is an image of an attached pocket on a
man's jacket skirt in the Mary Rose book (name escapes
me, but the one that has all the extant items in it).

I think I've wandered a different direction on
pockets, so I will end here.

Kimiko

http://www.kimiko1.com/research-16th/ModaFirenze/index.html