http://www.my-drewscostumes.dk/br.htm
>Am i right to suggest that this could be a small wheelfarthingale?
>To me the angle of the bodice - skirt is nearly 90 degrees.
>Its not possible to see because of both hands covering the area, but i would
>make a pleated frill on top of the wheel? Am i
>quite wrong with this, please let me know what you think:
>Comments most welcome and greatly apreciated.
>Portrait painted in 1614 and Denmark was a little behind new fashions.

Bjarne,
Looks like a wheel to me. Wheels came in many sizes.  There's a 16th c
quote in Norah Waugh citing a woman wearing one 4 feet across.  (Raise
your hand if you think someone was exaggerating!)

FWIW, I've now done 3 drum farthingale gowns.  While the edge of the
farthingale is hidden by her elbows, I suspect it will be sharper
rather than round. The padded roll over the conical farthigale will
not give the right-angle effect that I also see in this picture.
Part of that effect is created by the pinned ruffled edge and a
sufficiently stiff fabric.  My personal penchant is for stiff taffeta
(sarceonet, in England).
I've not looked at many Danish outfits; my knowledge comes exclusively
from the English & French sources. There are drums where the skirt
hangs vertically and drums where the lower edge kicks out as in this
one.  In my vile experiments, a barrel-shaped hoop creates that slight
angled-out, whereas the "Esperduccati" style appliance, leaves the
skirt to hang vertically unlike this picture.

Who is the lady in the painting?  I covet her jewelry!
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
[EMAIL PROTECTED]