Have you looked at "The Workwoman's Guide" by a Lady?  It was published
originally in 1838, and republished in 1986 by Opus
Publications.

On page 110 of my copy is a description (with a tiny pattern elsewhere) of a
"High Full Gown, to open in front" ... "particularly
suitable for house-maids, dairy or kitchen maids, chair [char?] and
washerwomen;"   I'm betting there are other descriptions, but
I'm not finding them at the moment.

Regards,
   Deb Salisbury
   The Mantua-Maker
   Designer and creator of quality historical sewing patterns
   Renaissance to Victorian
   www.mantua-maker.com