This period is before Florence Nightingale gave nursing it's prestige. Before
her work in the Crimean War, nursing was not a particularly skilled or
important job- most women did it more or less by default. I doubt there would
have been an identifiable uniform for a nurse in the 1840's.

Karen
Seamstrix

-- "otsisto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I would think that a nurse would probably have worn something to identify
her profession from a maid or servant. What about the BBC series
"upstairs/downstairs" (this might be to late) or did they have the sterio
type uniforms? There should be several BBC series that show maids in
uniforms.