From: Kimiko Small <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Headwear book suggestions
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Saturday, June 28, 2008, 4:59 PM

Hi Zuzana,

Are you looking for books on millinery making in general? If so I suggest From
the Neck Up, which you can get at http://www.hatbook.com/ .

If you are looking for a book just on medieval and renaissance hats in general,
I've yet to find one myself, so I too would love to know of any books on the
subject. The Tudor Tailor book does have a few patterns for medieval and
Elizabethan hats, hoods, and coifs, along with other clothing patterns and
info. The only hat focused stuff I've yet to find are usually people's
bad interpretations of any particular styles (ie visor French Hoods), or are
hand redrawn images of people's portraits (ie: Wilcox's The Mode in
Hats and Headdress, which is usually more expensive than I am willing to pay
for redrawings.)

The other options have been picking up various hat patterns from those who do
them well, such as Lynn McMasters' patterns http://www.lynnmcmasters.com/.
I've also found a few places on the 'net, such as Cynthia Virtues site
on medieval hats (and other stuff): http://www.virtue.to/articles/

If you, or anyone else knows a good book on medieval and renaissance hats, I
would love to know.

Kimiko