Cynthia Virtue wrote:
Claire Clarke wrote:
This seems a little curious, given that this was the start of the Little Ice Age, but then again, if one is wearing a houppelande why would one need anything else? So my question to the list is - am I missing something
here? Can anyone point me to some examples of 15th century outerwear?

I believe that the houppelande/gown is exactly what you are looking for: outerwear. Heavier in the winter, lighter in the summer. Under that the kirtle and shift would be the indoor wear when you are warm enough or feeling informal.

I was about to post just that, and then saw Cynthia got there first!

Remember also that the houppelande (or equivalent gown) was frequently
fur-lined.

By the 1440s or so, the shape of the overdress changed, so the houppelande is gradually replaced by various V-necked overdress versions, again typically fur-linedd. When you see women outside in these, they are often wearing hoods.

There are even some nice 15th-century genre scenes of people having snowball fights wearing overgowns and hoods.

--Robin