I'm quite fond of Zaanse Schans, which I believe you can drive to in about an
hour, depending on traffic. Yes, it's awfully touristy, but if you're a
mech-e-geek, and if it's open, there's a windmill that you can climb inside of
(the one for grinding paints). It's not handicap friendly, and keep an eye on
the little ones, or they may end up under the millwheel.  It was going
full-bore last time I was there, and it was darn neat watching the gears and
shafts turn. It creaked like a tallship under sail (which it definitely
resembles). Scratch the kitty's head at the ticket counter.

Costume content: they make and wear clogs in traditional fashion. I think some
of the docents and employees also wear traditional costumes.

Do check what parts of the Rijksmuseum are open. They've been renovating there
for umpteen years, and you'd think they'd be done by now? Also check what they
have on display. When I was there, uh, maybe 7 years ago, they had a small wing
devoted to 18th century court gowns and lace.

Claudine