Alas, though, fabric stores in general just aren't doing that well, as people aren't sewing as much.

Is fewer sewers necessarily the reason?

I think part of it is that many fabric sales may be made on the net these days. That's how I I've bought most of my fabric for several years. It's a lot easier when you work long hours--on the net you can buy fabric any time of day without taking the time to drive anywhere.

No, buying on the net is not as much fun as browsing a good fabric store--and the San Francisco Bay Area is blessed with numerous good independents. The tactile experience is missing, and getting swatches (which I seldom do) is slow. Yes, the color can turn out to be a bit different from the way it looks on my monitor. But I almost always buy fabric when I see it and decide what to do with it later, so I seldom run into problems with buying the wrong weight or color for a specific project.

I buy a lot of vintage tablecloths and trims on eBay and stockpile those. "Buy it when you see it" is definitely the best strategy for vintage items.

I only go to Jo-Ann's for notions, and then only because there is one in a mall a fairly short drive away. I've never set foot in a Wal-Mart in my life. I try to stockpile notions too--I bought a huge lot of hooks and eyes, and similar things, in bulk from Greenberg & Hammer--but there are times when I need some different notion in a hurry. There was a quilting store a few streets over, where I could buy thread and hand sewing needles--but they went out of business.

I only see labeling problems at discount stores, the kind of places that sell garment manufacturer over-buys. There is a chain called Discount Fabrics here that only vaguely labels most fabrics--like putting up a big row of "cottons" that clearly includes some blends when you look at the fabrics. There is a Discount Fabrics near my dentist's, and I usually go there on the way home after having my teeth cleaned. It's an OK store, I've bought some good things there, but it's definitely a place for serendipity rather than planned purchases. So why is it there that I usually go in person, rather than to the several much better fabric stores in the area (Britex, Poppy, Satin Moon?) Because I don't have to make a special trip, I'm already practically there anyway. And going to either Britex (downtown) or Satin Moon (in San Francisco's most congested restaurant district) is a parking nightmare.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com

  I can only get to NY once a year, at most,  and I
don't want to shop for everything on line--I'm too tactile for that, so I'll miss the local outlets if they all go away.

<snip>