>From an Australian living in Australia:

It looks like a rabid version of the flag-wavers Chips Rafferty made in the
1940s.

Visually, it is very good so long as you do not mind a parade of film and
cultural cliches.

The plot is senseless and, although that does not matter if a story is well-
told, this is not well-told. It's full of solemn joy, stereotypes that belong
in bad newsreels, historically innaccurate racism aimed at making the film
makers feel good, pointless nobility regarding the nature of nature, and
product placement.

The only thing more parched than the desert is Kidman's forehead. Even
Jackman's warmth and talent cannot save this mess.

Oh, and if toughened stockmen and others were to have danced they way they do
in Darwin when it rains, they would not only have been run out of town, they
would have been run out of town soaking wet as it rains well and often in that
city.

In short, I asked for my free ticket back,

-C.