At 23:00 01/01/2009, you wrote:
On Thursday 01 January 2009 5:07:36 pm Suzi Clarke wrote:

> Catherine - the cap pattern is way too early for
> the time of Les Mis - 1840's I think. A version
> of it was worn by "Marianne" the symbol of the
> French Revolution AFAIK and came out again later
> in the 19th century.

You're right.  Sorry I missed the Les Mis reference.

La Fleur de Lyse sells 18th French patterns, among other things.  Perhaps the
cap they have in their pattern NFH 18001 would be useful:

http://pages.videotron.com/fldelyse/Patterns.html

Yes, that's more like it, but as I am doing this for my DH out of my stash, I really don't want to spend money - I am mean like that - and the diagram on the site Hanna posted will do for starters - I can play with the shape from there. I have the book Suzanne Gousse etc., wrote - I should have thought of them. Thanks for the help though - I'd forgotten they did patterns.

Suzi