The "tea gown" or "wrapper" seems to have been common maternity wear in the late Victorian and Edwardian periods. This is not made very explicit. But if you look at some illos you can see, for example, things like a sack-like front with a very loose waist sash tied at the bottom of the abdomen. And in pattern descriptions, read references to things like "can be closed with hooks and eyes or if necessary lacing" (the lacing could of course be loosened). Tea gowns and wrappers were made of a much wider variety of materials than the lightweight silks commonly associated with fancy tea gowns, and the homey flannels and calicos associated with morning wrappers. In other words, they were made in materials you could wear all day. I am not sure how much they were worn outside the home. But as someone said, some version of a loose boxy coat was often available and that could cover a lot in terms of not only pregnancy but the gown worn for it.

I have an original circa 1911 brown velvet dress with a bertha-like cape that covers a bound slit on each side of the bodice. The skirt is not ample enough for pregnancy, but it's certainly a nursing dress. It's a nice dress and quite suitable for wear outside the home. I did not even realize it was a nursing dress till after I bought it.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com