I've only had to make them for 16th century clothing, but I found that it is
usually starts lower than we think they need to be. The first time I put a
simple codpiece on, it ended up way too high and ended up almost at the waist
level at the upper end. So I've found that to be most accurate in placement,
the hose need to actually be on the man they are to be worn by, along with the
doublet if needed for visual placement cues. This can be... uncomfortable in
some situations. But by then I had to pin fit a male client into his full hose
mockup, so the ice was already broken. It helped that I had another friend of
mine in the room as well both times, and we all chatted like nothing was going
on.

Kimiko