Workmanship, one of the three inter-related aspects of a costume, is how
well the garments are constructed.

Myth - Hand sewing beats machine sewing.
Reality - Ugly hand sewing is an embarrassment, both to the judges and to
the costume maker.  It doesn't say good things about your sewing skill.
 Good machine sewing beats ugly hand sewing, even in periods before the
advent of the sewing machine.

Myth - only Master/Open costumers win workmanship awards.
Reality - Workmanship is a democratic award, in that it is often won by
Novices and often not won by Masters/Open costumers.  Many Novices have
really great sewing skills even if they aren't good at costuming (yet).  And
many Master/Open costumers concentrate on how the finished costume looks,
and are extremely skilled at things that don't show up on stage but which
show all their "quick and dirty" at close range.  (Many professional
theatrical costumes look really bad up close.)

--The worst thing we judges saw, in Workmanship, was unfinished raw edges
with loose threads fraying out of them.  I think about half of what we saw
had this problem, and it didn't gain anybody points.  (That said, my own
seam finish isn't always that great unless I think a workmanship judge, or
one of my students, will ever see it.)  The best case of edge finishing was
that magenta 1869 of Katherine Caron-Greig's we gave the Workmanship award
we called Exceptional Frills and Furbelows.  Every edge of every one of
those ruffles and scalloped flounces was bias bound and hand finished.  And
the only reason she didn't get Best Workmanship was because the 1959
Christian Dior had even better Workmanship.  (In competition I always hope
my work is as good as those two were.)

Another problem we kept seeing was hems that weren't pressed flat, and that
didn't gain anybody points either.  (Whatever my own costumes look like
inside, I always press hems - because that shows.)  If you're worried about
what an iron will do to your fabric, press through a scrap of cotton muslin,
or press from the back.  Press your seams open too, so they lie flat.  (I
always do that too.)

What if I do crappy sewing?
Let someone else do the sewing, and share the credit for construction.  Two
paper certificates instead of one don't cost the ConCom that much more.

What should I tell the workmanship judge?
Brag shamelessly.  Tell them the coolest things about your costume.  Show
them the things you do best.  Point out all the places you did clever
things.  In the presentation judging, the workmanship judge is often
consulted for an opinion in cases of a potential tie.  Good construction is
often the tie-breaker.

I'm worried about losing points for not doing (whatever).
Don't be.  Your entry starts out at zero points - everyone's does.  So think
in terms of gaining points for doing good things, not losing them for doing
bad ones.  Think in terms of seizing opportunities for impressing the judges
and getting more points.

What if the judges don't like my historical period?
This shouldn't matter if they're honest.  Case in point, all three of us
judges gagged when we saw that someone was entering that 1959 Dior outfit.
 We' were all old enough to have developed a bad taste for that period -
first hand.  (It's stuff like that that made me want to be  a Hippie.)  And
every contemporary 1959 detail she showed us, including that stupid hat,
only made us gag more.  But she could have walked right out of the Vogue
pattern envelope she showed us (all she had was the envelope, and she had to
modify another pattern to get what she wanted).  I can't think of much she
could have done better (except picking a period I liked).

What is an interpretation anyway?
An interpretation is a historical that deviates from period construction
and/or design for a specified reason.  The best reasons include twisted
humor (like my cammo-colonial), deliberate mixing of periods (like Beautiful
People this year), or for a special use like being worn by someone in a
wheelchair or being a theater costume where a quick change is required.  And
every interpretation derives from a stated premise (which the judges are
honor-bound to go along with - my cammo-colonial was for Martha Washington
to wear while visiting the troops at Valley Forge).

A pet peeve of mine is seeing costumes which I would have put in historical
interpretation showing up in the F/SF masquerade.  It's not fair.

A fine example of interpretation this year was the Tudor couple who got a a
Workmanship award for Best Theatrical Interpretation in the Journeyman
division.  The gentleman's doublet had compulsively accurate slashing, but
his upper hose (puff pants) had the edge slashing painted on.  This is a
fine old theatrical "cheat", which was so well done that I didn't spot it on
the table across from me till the garment was handed to me.  The pair of
costumes had other such "cheats", like being easy to get out of by the
actors without help (thoroughly un-period), and had, in fact, been made for
theatrical use (wardrobe tags still in them).  (I think we talked the maker
into calling her work an interpretation, because as a re-creation it had too
many historical inaccuracies about it, and it was clearly theatrical
costuming.)

There are plenty of lame excuses for calling something an interpretation,
and lack of funds is one of them.  Overcoming financial difficulties by
persistence, careful shopping, and the application of your brains is a mark
of your costuming skill.  Using your lack of funds as an excuse for
inaccuracies, and calling the result an interpretation, is a cop-out.  I
could see giving yourself the challenge of trying to make an entire
Elizabethan for $20, and having the result looking pretty dicey up close and
off the stage (do brag to the workmanship judge about how cleverly your
cheats mimic the real thing).  But my point is that some reasons for calling
something an interpretation are valid and others are really bogus.

Pleading lack of time to finish a costume well is another lame excuse for
calling a costume an interpretation.  If you run out of time and finish the
costume badly it's just bad, where I've seen some really skillful saves when
the time and/or money ran out.

Pleading lack of knowledge makes it sound like you didn't know what you were
doing in the first place, and is another lame excuse for calling something
an interpretation.

Other reasons to call something an interpretation):
--Dance costume, where dancers needed to look corseted but had to move
freely.  (Docs should include images from the show, images of dancer dancing
in the costume, citations on dance costume construction, and citations on
historical on which costume is based.)
--Fantasy costume based on some historical period.  Premise is fairy living
in (whatever) historical period and only paying lip service to that period
but using Magic for fabrics.  (Docs should cite garments from actual period
as points of departure.)
--What would Puss In boots wear in (insert year here)?  (Show workmanship
judge construction of your "furry" and cite examples of garments from chosen
period.)
--A historical outfit as interpreted by those folks who crochet historical
costumes for Barbie dolls.  (Cite examples from places like
http://www.paradisedolls.com/ then try to figure out what period they're
doing and cite the real one.)
--Do your entire costume in white, with black edges around each different
part, and say you're from a coloring book, not a costume book.  (Cite the
real period, and don't worry about the underpinnings as long as you look OK
from the outside.  Wear a white paper wig, and white mask with black edges
and detailing.)
--Do your entire costume as flat appliqué, and your entire docs are one
color Xerox from one book.  (Oops - would this be a re-creation?)
--Make your entire costume out of newspaper, including all the fiddly
details.  (Document all the fiddly details.)
--Make your entire Georgian out of Hello Kitty fabric.  (Somebody did that
this year, no docs, hall costume only.)

There must be more of these, and they just get stranger as it gets later and
later at night.  but you get the idea.

--
Carolyn Kayta Barrows